Skip to main content

Ethan got saved!


This summer we took all three kids to VBS at our new church here in the Woodlands. I was there with them each day because I was helping in the 4th grade Bible study room.

 Each morning, all ages of the VBS kids would meet in the sanctuary and the teachers would head up to a 9:00 meeting/prayer time. Well, on Wednesday morning, I took them into the sanctuary like normal and then completely forgot about my 9:00 meeting. I have no idea why, but that prayer time didn’t even cross my mind. 

I ended up staying in the sanctuary, along the wall, to secretly check on how the kids were doing.

First let me say that Ethan is our quiet guy. He is on the shyer side and while he feels emotions very deeply, he doesn’t show them often. He is reserved in most settings and sometimes it even takes a nudge from us to “get him out there”.

As I searched for each of our three kids, I found Ethan first and I couldn’t believe what I saw. I stood there. Watching. Staring. Wait. Was that really E? Thankfully, I had enough where-with-all to grab my phone so I could snap a quick video to send to B.

B responded “I’m so glad you got a video of that because if you had tried to explain that to me, I would have never actually envisioned the reality of what Ethan was doing.”

Ethan was dancing. The other boys were standing beside him singing, but Ethan, our quiet, shy guy had his eyes on the worship leader and he was singing, moving his body with all the motions, and sometimes jumping up and down.

I find it hard to explain how extraordinary this is for Ethan.

As I sent the video out to our family, each member commented on how uncommon it was to see him so extroverted. He didn’t notice anyone beside him and had zero barriers in his worship.

The next day was Thursday, “evangelism day” at VBS.  The church asked all the Bible teachers to be in the sanctuary while Dr. Bruce gave a presentation of the gospel. While sitting there listening to him I had a fleeting thought,   “What if Ethan walks down today?” Then I brushed it off and knew that Ethan, being the introvert that he is, would probably never do that. He would wait until he got home and then talk to us privately, should he need to ask us anything spiritually.

At the end of the gospel presentation, Dr. Bruce asked the kids if anyone felt like they wanted to accept Jesus.

Ethan, being the oldest at VBS was at the very back of the sanctuary with his group. But as Dr. Bruce asked this question, I saw him almost sprint from the rear of the church down the aisle, his face glowing. Was I imagining this? Did he actually just race down to the front of the church in the presence of all these hundreds of kids?

They took the students to a back room where the Bible teachers could chat with them. I could see Ethan with another teacher across the room. My heart was racing to question him.

When we were finished and all the kids were heading back into the sanctuary, I scrambled over to him and threw my arms around him. I had a surge of questions running my mind, but all that came out was, “Well hey E!”

He smiled up at me. His face permeated with a supernatural shining.

“Hey”, he responded.

“What made you walk down this morning?”

“I’m not sure, but I just knew I really wanted to go. I really wanted to walk down. So I did.”

“Well, this is very exciting E.”

“Yes!”

He was still glowing brilliantly.

“I can’t wait to get home so we can call your dad and talk to him about it also.”

“Me too.”

When we got home, we called B. Towards the end of the call B asked Ethan, “How do you feel about all of this?” Ethan responded, “I feel amazing.”

For some of you, that might be a word your children use daily. Not E. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever heard him use that word at all in the last 8 months of living here.

This was the first time.

We hung up with B. B and I decided to sit on it and pray for a few days. We wanted to make sure this was really E’s salvation and not just a small high from VBS camp.

As we went through the next few days I had an unrest about staying quiet about this. Unbeknownst to me, B had the same unrest.

I called my mom and talked to her. I had forgotten her salvation story, but it was very similar to Ethan’s. She said she was sitting in church and something made her get out of her seat to go forward. She wasn’t sure what it was, but she got up and walked down. She knows now that it was the Spirit. I don’t think the similarities in these stories are a coincidence. 

We came back to E later and said, “Listen, we really believe you heard God that day. That is what made you get out of your seat…Something drew you…Someone drew you…you sensed it, and you responded. It is something you can’t really explain, but it moved you. When you prayed that day, we believe the Holy Spirit entered your heart.”

There were no qualms about it. E looked at us with confirmation on his face, “Yes.” We hugged him and celebrated. We called the grandparents and they celebrated too.

Later on that night at bedtime, B and I had tucked him in and as we were heading out the door, another small conversation occurred.

“Dad?”

“Yes?”

“I just feel so good.”

B walked back over to his bed. “I’m so glad E.”

“You told me to ask God to speak to me. And he did. And it just feels so good.”

“We are so excited for you E.”

“Goodnight, dad.”
                            
“Goodnight, E. ”

We celebrate one more name written and sealed in the Book of Life: Ethan James Blaschke. We praise the name of the one who saves!

Comments

  1. Get over divorce offers a compassionate approach to healing from divorce. Their experienced Divorce Coachprovide invaluable support, guidance, and strategies to navigate this challenging transition with resilience and empowerment. A trusted ally in overcoming adversity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Divorce and the Land of Israel

(If you are here, the very first thing I want you to read is this: Writing about a divorce can be sticky. I would never want to hurt B in any way. So, please know this post is about the divorce, not about B.)     Rejection.   In the past, I’d had friends hurt my feelings. I was dumped in college. There were jobs I wasn’t offered. There were times I wasn’t invited. But that was pretty much it. The rejection I had felt in my life was, what I would consider, typical.   When I found out B had filed for divorce, I was devastated. Normal, right? I think so. I was intensely sad and cried every day. This too, did not surprise me. In fact, during those first few months, I didn’t fight it. When the sobbing began, I would stop what I was doing so I could heave it out until that episode was over. I also expected the standard emotions that sadness brings with it; disappointment, depression, grief. I wept through each of these and these sorrowful emotions became increasingly better wit

God, and our rental home.

I was still living in the home that once held our family of five.  Rooms were now completely empty, the living room bare and our bedroom was...well...void.  B and his kids had left. I would collapse at the smallest emotional trigger, a "train-wreck" as some people commonly refer to it. I shed tears daily, sometimes hourly. The failure of my marriage felt catastrophic.  Spiritual questions loomed in my mind. Could I hear the Lord? Where was he in all of this? Wasn't he here...somewhere? It didn't feel like it. And if he was, I certainly couldn't hear him. I'd been taking steps one-at-a-time for a couple months, but on one particular day, I was told I had to find a new place to live too. I was crushed. Taking the first steps were hard, but having to leave our home, this home we'd bought together, lived in together, made memories in together...the permanence of this step was overwhelming.  I could barely think straight.  In fact, all I really knew was that I

They've been disarmed.

“Eric held him down until the police could get the gun out of his hand.” My friend, Beth, told me this story about her husband, a firefighter who helped wrestle a person to the ground during an emergency call yesterday.    This troubled man reached and successfully grabbed an officer’s gun from her belt, but was immediately subdued when four people, including Eric, pounced upon him. They restrained him until they had retrieved the gun and could carefully stand up again.    The culprit was disarmed.   Everyone was safe.   I love a story of valor.   Just a day before, I’d been reading through Colossians and came to chapter 2, verse 15, “He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, triumphing over them…”   My eyes veered back to “disarmed.” The Holy Spirit seemed to be highlighting that word in my heart, giving it an intense weight. I studied it. Originating in the late 14th century, it meant to “deprive of power to injure or terrify, render harmless.” Unable to caus