Skip to main content

Don't want to invite kids to your wedding?


Not having children at weddings is the latest trend. I have received several invitations to weddings (as have several of my friends) in which children have been un-invited to the wedding.

I don’t know when or how or why this got started. As a woman who recently got married 7 months ago, I’d like to contribute a different opinion to this new nuptial craze.

First let me say, “to each their own”. This post is not for the bride who has already decided not to have children at her wedding. If that is your decision, that is great for you!

This post IS for the bride who isn’t quite sure what she wants to do.  

Fact: Aside from the groom, kids were the BEST thing at my wedding.

Before the Wedding

Before the wedding, several little ladies came by to see me in the bride’s room: McKenna, Olivia and Kendall. These three! How I adore them. I’d spent countless hours with these small people (and their moms!) at school which meant I had shared in their lives for months…hearing their prayer requests at school, watching them play tag on the play ground, walking them to the nurse with bloody knees, helping to mend hurt feelings…I had spent an entire year with them and now here they were…all dressed up sharing in one of the most important days of my life. I couldn’t cherish them any more. They started my wedding day off perfectly. 

 

Just in Time

There was a brief period when I stood at the rear of the church alone, my bridal party already at the back of the sanctuary. I was beginning to feel a few nerves as I waited on my dad to pick me up when the Lord sent two more youngsters my way: Bria and Sophia. Bria walked up first and then shortly after, Sophia came by too.  Neither one of them really understood the sweet nourishment they brought to me just before the ceremony. They both simply smiled shyly and hugged me tightly and of course I smiled and nestled them right back.  As my dad walked over a few moments later, I thought, “Well those two sweethearts brought just the warmth I needed before heading down to the alter.” What a true gift from the Lord these two were. 

 

The Aisle

As I walked down the aisle, all eyes were on my dad and me. While it was a beautiful moment (that I will always treasure), it made me relatively nervous. We were about halfway down the main aisle when I saw…a kid. Ava Granados. There she was in her adorable dress, glasses on, staring at me with lively eyes.  Her hand shot up in the air and she began waving sweetly. Immediately, I was put a little more at ease. I waved back for a short bit, so very happy to see her and then headed down towards the groom. Little Ava had taken away a few more jitters.

 The Reception

One of the very first hugs I received as I walked into the reception was from a pint-sized man who fills every room with fun. His smile alone melts every heart he meets. It stretches across his cheeks and upward through his eyes. You can’t miss the cheerfulness on his whole face when you see him. He walked up in his blue dress shirt, matching bow tie and combed back hair…Malachi! What a handsome stud! I couldn’t help but squeeze him for a long time, probably until he said, “Okay, Miss O, that’s good.” He started the reception off with the ultimate smile and the greatest celebratory excitement. 

 

The Dancing

These kids, all the kids, danced. all. night. long. They had no inhibitions. They had no reservations. They had no reluctance about their dancing, no hang-ups about what moves were cool or uncool. They had zero hesitancy in swinging their whole bodies around in circles or laughing hysterically as they plunged from side to side out on the floor. They danced to every song without any sort of restraint. It was exactly the way dancing should be done. It was exactly the way I wish all adults danced. It was the way I personally wish I danced all the time. I’m sure it was the dancing of heaven…and it came from kids.  


And most importantly: The Spiritual Influence

My friend, Fabi Payton, gave an incredible perspective on this post and I couldn't help but mention it. I could not agree more with her amazing words, "Weddings are sanctified unions, not reality show visual ads. It is one of our most holy ceremonies as Christians. A union ordained by God is one of our most precious gifts. It should be an honor held among all. In a world where, visually and such, we glorify casual relationships and sex, we have a responsibility to our children to show them the importance and sanctity of a Christian wedding...How else will our kids see?"

So, brides to be, if you are trying to decide between having kids and not having them, I am one former bride saying, “Invite every kid you know. They will bring you an extra slice of goodness, an exceptional dash of fun, but you will also be gifting them with a powerful picture of who God is by inviting them to witness His exquisite and detailed plan. Invite them."


Comments

  1. I completely agree. This post deserves a load of traffic. Great message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words Jeremy! I sure appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Divorce and the Land of Israel

(If you are here, the very first thing I want you to read is this: Writing about a divorce can be sticky. I would never want to hurt B in any way. So, please know this post is about the divorce, not about B.)     Rejection.   In the past, I’d had friends hurt my feelings. I was dumped in college. There were jobs I wasn’t offered. There were times I wasn’t invited. But that was pretty much it. The rejection I had felt in my life was, what I would consider, typical.   When I found out B had filed for divorce, I was devastated. Normal, right? I think so. I was intensely sad and cried every day. This too, did not surprise me. In fact, during those first few months, I didn’t fight it. When the sobbing began, I would stop what I was doing so I could heave it out until that episode was over. I also expected the standard emotions that sadness brings with it; disappointment, depression, grief. I wept through each of these and these sorrowful emotions became increasingly better wit

God, and our rental home.

I was still living in the home that once held our family of five.  Rooms were now completely empty, the living room bare and our bedroom was...well...void.  B and his kids had left. I would collapse at the smallest emotional trigger, a "train-wreck" as some people commonly refer to it. I shed tears daily, sometimes hourly. The failure of my marriage felt catastrophic.  Spiritual questions loomed in my mind. Could I hear the Lord? Where was he in all of this? Wasn't he here...somewhere? It didn't feel like it. And if he was, I certainly couldn't hear him. I'd been taking steps one-at-a-time for a couple months, but on one particular day, I was told I had to find a new place to live too. I was crushed. Taking the first steps were hard, but having to leave our home, this home we'd bought together, lived in together, made memories in together...the permanence of this step was overwhelming.  I could barely think straight.  In fact, all I really knew was that I

They've been disarmed.

“Eric held him down until the police could get the gun out of his hand.” My friend, Beth, told me this story about her husband, a firefighter who helped wrestle a person to the ground during an emergency call yesterday.    This troubled man reached and successfully grabbed an officer’s gun from her belt, but was immediately subdued when four people, including Eric, pounced upon him. They restrained him until they had retrieved the gun and could carefully stand up again.    The culprit was disarmed.   Everyone was safe.   I love a story of valor.   Just a day before, I’d been reading through Colossians and came to chapter 2, verse 15, “He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, triumphing over them…”   My eyes veered back to “disarmed.” The Holy Spirit seemed to be highlighting that word in my heart, giving it an intense weight. I studied it. Originating in the late 14th century, it meant to “deprive of power to injure or terrify, render harmless.” Unable to caus