Skip to main content

Our Gift from God this Christmas



On December 13, at 8:30 pm, there was a knock on my door. I was not expecting anyone and was already in my pajamas and my warm little lamb socks. I was sure I wasn’t going to answer it. I stood in the hallway and yelled, “Who is it?” No answer. The nerves kicked in. I called out again, “Whoooooo iiiiiiis iiiiiiit?” Still no answer. I went to the front of the house to look out the window. Make note that I went to the far side corner of the window, crouched down beneath the window and barely peeked up enough to peer right over the sill through the curtain. (You can roll your eyes here and insert your comment of, "Get a grip Lauren. No one is trying to get you. And also you are the worst spy I've ever seen.")

I saw no one out the window, no cars, no neighbors, nothing. Bigger nerves hit, but don’t worry, I decided to calm those nerves with my Sig 229 .40 caliber. I finally inched my way to the door and opened it slowly. (Because clearly the robber would be alarmed if I opened the door slowly. Obvi.)

There on my porch, was a big opened box with what looked like lots of presents inside. (My immediate thought was, “Is this a ruse? Is there a man waiting behind the house to get me when I come out? Or is there a bomb in that box? Evidently, I’ve watched too many Criminal Mind episodes.)  I slowly opened the screen door and walked cautiously closer to it. Yes, there were gifts, lots of them. They were all neatly wrapped and in a cardboard box sitting on my porch. I went a little further out trying to see if there was anyone leaving my street. Nope. No one. Hmmmm. Okay.

I took this huge box inside and checked out the gifts more closely. Each wrapped gift had an envelope taped to it and each envelope was numbered, “Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, etc.” There was also a note that said, “OPEN ME FIRST”. I complied. That first note said that these presents were to be opened each day in order, one per day until Christmas Eve.

WHAT? Who in the world would do this for us? Seriously, who went to all this trouble? I had no idea. I called my parents of course to check with them. My mom said, “Nope. I didn’t do that.” At first I assumed she was lying in order to protect her identity in this fun little endeavor, but after a few minutes of her convincing argument,  I finally believed she wasn’t the culprit.  But…then who? Only a relative would spend this kind of time and money on doing something this special…right?

Wes and I began with the gifts that evening. Then with each bedtime that followed Wes would say, “MOM! THE GIFTS! Let’s see what the next number is and open it!” I cannot tell you how much Wes and I anticipated the surprises each evening. Of course Wes loved every bit of it, but even as an adult…IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!

The gifts were all different, some for family movie nights, some for music in the car, some for home décor. The list goes on and on. With the final gift and note on Day 12, the Secret Santa was revealed.

Wow! All these gifts. All that time. THIS FAMILY! You need to know that this family has 2 kids of their own, both parents work and yet, they took time to write 12 letters, wrap 12 gifts and then deliver them to our home so that our Christmas season would have an added richness to it. And indeed these thoughtful gifts gave us just that.

In fact, a while back I wrote a blog about Christmas gifts from God and this year, THIS FAMILY was our Christmas gift from the Lord.

You know who you are and we thank you so much! You gave us so much more than what you realize. We love you!

Wes and I will be passing this gift on to someone else! We should all plan to give this to a family next year. 

What a GIFT!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divorce and the Land of Israel

(If you are here, the very first thing I want you to read is this: Writing about a divorce can be sticky. I would never want to hurt B in any way. So, please know this post is about the divorce, not about B.)     Rejection.   In the past, I’d had friends hurt my feelings. I was dumped in college. There were jobs I wasn’t offered. There were times I wasn’t invited. But that was pretty much it. The rejection I had felt in my life was, what I would consider, typical.   When I found out B had filed for divorce, I was devastated. Normal, right? I think so. I was intensely sad and cried every day. This too, did not surprise me. In fact, during those first few months, I didn’t fight it. When the sobbing began, I would stop what I was doing so I could heave it out until that episode was over. I also expected the standard emotions that sadness brings with it; disappointment, depression, grief. I wept through each of these and these sorrowful emotions became increasingly better wit

God, and our rental home.

I was still living in the home that once held our family of five.  Rooms were now completely empty, the living room bare and our bedroom was...well...void.  B and his kids had left. I would collapse at the smallest emotional trigger, a "train-wreck" as some people commonly refer to it. I shed tears daily, sometimes hourly. The failure of my marriage felt catastrophic.  Spiritual questions loomed in my mind. Could I hear the Lord? Where was he in all of this? Wasn't he here...somewhere? It didn't feel like it. And if he was, I certainly couldn't hear him. I'd been taking steps one-at-a-time for a couple months, but on one particular day, I was told I had to find a new place to live too. I was crushed. Taking the first steps were hard, but having to leave our home, this home we'd bought together, lived in together, made memories in together...the permanence of this step was overwhelming.  I could barely think straight.  In fact, all I really knew was that I

They've been disarmed.

“Eric held him down until the police could get the gun out of his hand.” My friend, Beth, told me this story about her husband, a firefighter who helped wrestle a person to the ground during an emergency call yesterday.    This troubled man reached and successfully grabbed an officer’s gun from her belt, but was immediately subdued when four people, including Eric, pounced upon him. They restrained him until they had retrieved the gun and could carefully stand up again.    The culprit was disarmed.   Everyone was safe.   I love a story of valor.   Just a day before, I’d been reading through Colossians and came to chapter 2, verse 15, “He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, triumphing over them…”   My eyes veered back to “disarmed.” The Holy Spirit seemed to be highlighting that word in my heart, giving it an intense weight. I studied it. Originating in the late 14th century, it meant to “deprive of power to injure or terrify, render harmless.” Unable to caus