Skip to main content

#WhyIMarch


Looking through the hundreds of tweets tonight, all with the hashtag #WhyIMarch. A few read…

“This is what a feminist looks like. #WhyIMarch”
“Feminist as F$#K. #WhyIMarch”
“The Future is Feminist #WhyIMarch”
 “Gay Power Women Power #WhyIMarch”
“Today I am celebrating the anniversary of Roe v. Wade. This is why I march.”

These tweets came in just a few hours after I sat in a Sunday school room for a women’s ministry meeting. We met to pray over our upcoming Bible study for the women of our church. As I sat there, I looked around the table at 10 women, different women, women that the world would call “old thinkers”, “traditional” maybe even “outdated”. They are in sole opposition to the women in our culture’s streets. 

I see a woman to my left who could be haunted by mistakes from her past, yet she sits at this round table, head humbly held with a heavenly confidence. Her posture is one of refined modesty and grace. That graciousness floods out of her and onto so many other women. She is probably unaware of the magnitude of her influence. 

A woman across from me has endured the unimaginable agony of losing a child...so while I am certain that there has undoubtedly been questions and unhindered sadness, she remains devoted to her Abba Father.  I would have to assume that bitterness has tried to creep its way in to her soul, but she has warred against it. Her faith in her King outweighs the Enemy’s tactics. Her strength is far beyond what the world could imagine. 

Two more ladies sit beside her, both praying through substantial and heavy issues with their daughters. Both women constant in their trust that Jesus has them in His hands, both confident that God will work it our for their good.   

Yet another woman has lived her whole life married to a man in the ministry. This alone brings sacrifices. She gives of her husband’s time, her family’s time, her own personal time to serve in ministry along side her husband and here she is tonight, ready to serve again. 

And the precious woman right next to me, having just last year lost her spouse of decades. She is here, immediately asking me how I am, how my new job is going, and how my 5-year-old son is doing. She is still in the midst of her grief and somehow she finds the strength to actively serve the one she calls Lord. Her love for her Savior never leaves her, no matter how dark her circumstance. 

These women are loyal, pure hearted, filled with elegance, and a fierce love for their Savior. They recognize their role, a godly woman’s role, a role created by the Ancient of Days. He is their Father. They call Him by His Name. They follow His design by serving, living quiet lives, living strong lives, living holy lives. They stand firm when the world tells them to sit down. They pray when they can’t do anything else. They follow their Ruler regardless of the consequence. These are the women I call my friends. These are the women I look up to. These are the women I honor. These are the women I cherish, the women I call noble. They are women of character, of divine beauty, of imperishable loveliness. They are the women I admire, the women I personally love, the women I respect. 

As I sit among these women, I am moved. I am moved by their remarkableness.  These are hands of women that little girls need to hold. These are the faces of women that young girls need to learn from. These are the lives that make a difference in the world. They change things. Their faith changes things. Their God changes things.

THESE WOMEN. These women are the women I MARCH FOR. 

Thank you to all the women who have gone before us. I cherish you.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divorce and the Land of Israel

(If you are here, the very first thing I want you to read is this: Writing about a divorce can be sticky. I would never want to hurt B in any way. So, please know this post is about the divorce, not about B.)     Rejection.   In the past, I’d had friends hurt my feelings. I was dumped in college. There were jobs I wasn’t offered. There were times I wasn’t invited. But that was pretty much it. The rejection I had felt in my life was, what I would consider, typical.   When I found out B had filed for divorce, I was devastated. Normal, right? I think so. I was intensely sad and cried every day. This too, did not surprise me. In fact, during those first few months, I didn’t fight it. When the sobbing began, I would stop what I was doing so I could heave it out until that episode was over. I also expected the standard emotions that sadness brings with it; disappointment, depression, grief. I wept through each of these and these sorrowful emotions became increasingly better wit

God, and our rental home.

I was still living in the home that once held our family of five.  Rooms were now completely empty, the living room bare and our bedroom was...well...void.  B and his kids had left. I would collapse at the smallest emotional trigger, a "train-wreck" as some people commonly refer to it. I shed tears daily, sometimes hourly. The failure of my marriage felt catastrophic.  Spiritual questions loomed in my mind. Could I hear the Lord? Where was he in all of this? Wasn't he here...somewhere? It didn't feel like it. And if he was, I certainly couldn't hear him. I'd been taking steps one-at-a-time for a couple months, but on one particular day, I was told I had to find a new place to live too. I was crushed. Taking the first steps were hard, but having to leave our home, this home we'd bought together, lived in together, made memories in together...the permanence of this step was overwhelming.  I could barely think straight.  In fact, all I really knew was that I

They've been disarmed.

“Eric held him down until the police could get the gun out of his hand.” My friend, Beth, told me this story about her husband, a firefighter who helped wrestle a person to the ground during an emergency call yesterday.    This troubled man reached and successfully grabbed an officer’s gun from her belt, but was immediately subdued when four people, including Eric, pounced upon him. They restrained him until they had retrieved the gun and could carefully stand up again.    The culprit was disarmed.   Everyone was safe.   I love a story of valor.   Just a day before, I’d been reading through Colossians and came to chapter 2, verse 15, “He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, triumphing over them…”   My eyes veered back to “disarmed.” The Holy Spirit seemed to be highlighting that word in my heart, giving it an intense weight. I studied it. Originating in the late 14th century, it meant to “deprive of power to injure or terrify, render harmless.” Unable to caus