Skip to main content

"Let's just go out and get your mind off of it!"


Psalm 19:7

We live in a country where entertainment is endless. We can instantly go somewhere where something or someone can entertain us. Last year Americans spent more than $600,000,000 in entertainment alone. There are sporting events, movies, arcades, lazer tag, bowling, comedy clubs, symphony halls, etc. Anything you enjoy, you can find a place to go see it or go do it. One would think that this would make us one of the happiest countries in the world, YET… one particular sickness runs rampant among Americans…depression. At least 1 in every 10 Americans is on medication for depression, not to mention all of the people who are depressed and just don’t medicate through a doctor. How is it that we live in a place where virtually you can choose any type of entertainment for your pleasure and yet we are still an unhappy population? There is really only one answer…America has bought into the lie that entertainment can revive your soul. People think, “If I can just go have some fun or if I can go and be entertained somewhere, I'll forget about my hurt.” We are looking at entertainment to revive our inner being, so we spend billions as a nation trying to make ourselves feel better.
We, the women not of this world, must choose to believe truth…And this is truth: Absolutely nothing can de-stress you or revive your soul like the Word of God. It is, in its very nature, calming, soothing, peace-giving revival to the deepest parts of your being.

Nothing de-stresses us like God’s word, not the gym, not friends, not family, not church, not being busy, nothing.  Nothing will de-stress your life and revive your soul like Jesus’s words. This might sound like an easy concept or something that we all assume we do, but many of us don’t. People, including Christians, tend to “self medicate” their hurt/upset in various ways. We might not be on anti-depressants, but we self medicate with things other than God’s word. What do you do when something has hurt you? Do your friends say, “Hey, let’s go out!” or “Hey let’s go shopping.” or “Want to catch a movie to get your mind off of this?”. Other people self medicate by eating, socializing, distracting, getting busy, becoming workaholics, or drinking etc. When these self-medicating behaviors are not addressed and they continue for long periods of time, this is when you become susceptible to addiction. Drinking can turn into alcoholism, busy at work can turn into workaholic, eating can turn into gluttony, etc. Self-medicating your soul is very, very dangerous. It is an easy foothold for satan to grab. There are tons of ways that satan has used “self medication” to replace God’s word in our lives. For a little bit, these self-medications do the job. If you’re upset and your friend calls you and the two of you decide to go shopping to “get your mind off of things” and it works for those 2 hours, but it's a false sense of medication. When you get home and put your shopping bags up, your hurt/upset is still there. We are merely taking “sugar pills” when we do this and sugar pills will never, ever cure us.

Psalm 19:7 explains that His Word has enough power to revive the soul! This should be our medication. This should be our addiction. Let’s train ourselves to read and meditate on His Word when sadness hits or when disappointment comes or hurt arises. Let go of the worlds medications and let the Lord’s Word revive you.

Lord, let us all let go of the ways we self medicate and let us run towards you when we need revival. Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divorce and the Land of Israel

(If you are here, the very first thing I want you to read is this: Writing about a divorce can be sticky. I would never want to hurt B in any way. So, please know this post is about the divorce, not about B.)     Rejection.   In the past, I’d had friends hurt my feelings. I was dumped in college. There were jobs I wasn’t offered. There were times I wasn’t invited. But that was pretty much it. The rejection I had felt in my life was, what I would consider, typical.   When I found out B had filed for divorce, I was devastated. Normal, right? I think so. I was intensely sad and cried every day. This too, did not surprise me. In fact, during those first few months, I didn’t fight it. When the sobbing began, I would stop what I was doing so I could heave it out until that episode was over. I also expected the standard emotions that sadness brings with it; disappointment, depression, grief. I wept through each of these and these sorrowful emotions became increasingly better wit

God, and our rental home.

I was still living in the home that once held our family of five.  Rooms were now completely empty, the living room bare and our bedroom was...well...void.  B and his kids had left. I would collapse at the smallest emotional trigger, a "train-wreck" as some people commonly refer to it. I shed tears daily, sometimes hourly. The failure of my marriage felt catastrophic.  Spiritual questions loomed in my mind. Could I hear the Lord? Where was he in all of this? Wasn't he here...somewhere? It didn't feel like it. And if he was, I certainly couldn't hear him. I'd been taking steps one-at-a-time for a couple months, but on one particular day, I was told I had to find a new place to live too. I was crushed. Taking the first steps were hard, but having to leave our home, this home we'd bought together, lived in together, made memories in together...the permanence of this step was overwhelming.  I could barely think straight.  In fact, all I really knew was that I

They've been disarmed.

“Eric held him down until the police could get the gun out of his hand.” My friend, Beth, told me this story about her husband, a firefighter who helped wrestle a person to the ground during an emergency call yesterday.    This troubled man reached and successfully grabbed an officer’s gun from her belt, but was immediately subdued when four people, including Eric, pounced upon him. They restrained him until they had retrieved the gun and could carefully stand up again.    The culprit was disarmed.   Everyone was safe.   I love a story of valor.   Just a day before, I’d been reading through Colossians and came to chapter 2, verse 15, “He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, triumphing over them…”   My eyes veered back to “disarmed.” The Holy Spirit seemed to be highlighting that word in my heart, giving it an intense weight. I studied it. Originating in the late 14th century, it meant to “deprive of power to injure or terrify, render harmless.” Unable to caus