Skip to main content

"I Love You God"


As the Women’s Director at my church, there are seasons of calm, but also seasons of busyness. I am currently in a season of busy, which sometimes, as in this case, can turn into a few days of stress. When stressed out, I tend to clean because while I might not be able to control the situation, I can control the dishes. I can at least move them from the hot soapy water of the sink into the dishwasher and then turn it on. I can sweep and mop and turn the kitchen into a sparkly, shiny area, while my stressed out situation is not so sparkly and shiny.

The other day, I was in “cleaning mode” and had told my 3 ½ year old son, Wesley, that he could go outside onto the patio to wait for his grilled cheese sandwich. I left the kitchen sliding glass door open to the patio, so I could keep a faint eye on him and also hear him if he called me. While waiting for his grilled cheese to bake in the oven, I was vigorously scrubbing the dried pizza and crusty pasta off our plates in the sink from the night before. My thoughts were running wildy about a new discipleship/mentor program a friend of mine and I were implementing at our church... “What if I don’t have enough mentors for this new program? What if I have to turn these young, lovely, ladies away? I really felt like the Lord had confirmed me all along the way with beginning this new mentor ministry…what if I was wrong? What if everything is going to tank? What if this was the wrong thing to do? What if I look like a complete fool in front of everyone at church???”
Then I remember Wes’s sandwich in the oven, and of course, it is completely black on one side. I take it out and as all good moms do, I get out a knife and start scraping all of the burned side off into the sink. So now I’m mad that I have all these microscopic crumbs of burnt bread layering my sink and faucet so that I will now be cleaning it all over again, scrubbing those dang crunchy crispy crumbs off my sink. Then as I turn back to the grilled cheese that is now officially a “fixer upper” I begin to beat myself up with new negative thoughts (as if the stressed out ones weren’t enough) like, “Ugh, what kind of a mom can’t even get a grilled cheese right? Seriously? It’s a dumb grilled cheese sandwich! Dang!”

As I’m taking Wes’s wilted, sad, sandwich out onto the porch, I come to about 5 feet from the open sliding door and all I can see is Wes’s profile and he is very, very still…he’s gazing intently up into the sky totally hushed.  He doesn’t see that I’m walking towards him. Just a few seconds later as I watch him, I see and hear him shout out to the sky, “I LOVE YOU GOD!”

I could barely hold back the tears. Yes, Wes, you get it buddy. You really get it.

The kingdom belongs to such as these and this small, simple phrase reminds me why. Sweet Wes. Waiting for his lunch. Taking time from his day to look up at the sky just to say, “I LOVE YOU GOD!”

Thank you for your impeccable timing, Lord. That is exactly what I needed to see and hear. No matter what my thoughts are God, no matter how stressed I am, no matter if I fail or if I succeed... Please know, Lord, that I love you. I love you for being God. I love you for coming to Earth. I love you for dying for me. I love you for being my Savior. I love you for speaking to me. I love you for giving me Wes through very difficult circumstances. I love you for his innocence. I love you for using a 3 ½ year old to take me out of my frazzled mess to remind me of your sweet, yet oh so powerful love. Dear Lord, please hear from Wes's and my heart tonight, “WE LOVE YOU GOD!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divorce and the Land of Israel

(If you are here, the very first thing I want you to read is this: Writing about a divorce can be sticky. I would never want to hurt B in any way. So, please know this post is about the divorce, not about B.)     Rejection.   In the past, I’d had friends hurt my feelings. I was dumped in college. There were jobs I wasn’t offered. There were times I wasn’t invited. But that was pretty much it. The rejection I had felt in my life was, what I would consider, typical.   When I found out B had filed for divorce, I was devastated. Normal, right? I think so. I was intensely sad and cried every day. This too, did not surprise me. In fact, during those first few months, I didn’t fight it. When the sobbing began, I would stop what I was doing so I could heave it out until that episode was over. I also expected the standard emotions that sadness brings with it; disappointment, depression, grief. I wept through each of these and these sorrowful emotions became increasingly better wit

God, and our rental home.

I was still living in the home that once held our family of five.  Rooms were now completely empty, the living room bare and our bedroom was...well...void.  B and his kids had left. I would collapse at the smallest emotional trigger, a "train-wreck" as some people commonly refer to it. I shed tears daily, sometimes hourly. The failure of my marriage felt catastrophic.  Spiritual questions loomed in my mind. Could I hear the Lord? Where was he in all of this? Wasn't he here...somewhere? It didn't feel like it. And if he was, I certainly couldn't hear him. I'd been taking steps one-at-a-time for a couple months, but on one particular day, I was told I had to find a new place to live too. I was crushed. Taking the first steps were hard, but having to leave our home, this home we'd bought together, lived in together, made memories in together...the permanence of this step was overwhelming.  I could barely think straight.  In fact, all I really knew was that I

They've been disarmed.

“Eric held him down until the police could get the gun out of his hand.” My friend, Beth, told me this story about her husband, a firefighter who helped wrestle a person to the ground during an emergency call yesterday.    This troubled man reached and successfully grabbed an officer’s gun from her belt, but was immediately subdued when four people, including Eric, pounced upon him. They restrained him until they had retrieved the gun and could carefully stand up again.    The culprit was disarmed.   Everyone was safe.   I love a story of valor.   Just a day before, I’d been reading through Colossians and came to chapter 2, verse 15, “He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, triumphing over them…”   My eyes veered back to “disarmed.” The Holy Spirit seemed to be highlighting that word in my heart, giving it an intense weight. I studied it. Originating in the late 14th century, it meant to “deprive of power to injure or terrify, render harmless.” Unable to caus