Skip to main content

Marriage: The First Year

As a celebratory blog about our first year of marriage, I thought I might write about making it through the “bumps in the road”, but no, I've already written about a few of those. Clearly, we've had them. 

Maybe I'd write about what it's been like getting married later in life? Maybe just about love? Maybe about all the things I've learned?

Nah.

I decided on quotes.

Yes, quotes, from our home, to sum up our first year of marriage. These are actual, quick, conversations that have taken place between B and me. And they've all brought laughter, a lot of laughter. I think they sum up our first year better than any great story.


I have chosen six, not in any particular order. 

 https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0171/2222/files/37.png?13553017710805230729


Me: I saw on this documentary that this girl took six days of silence and it changed her life.



B:



Me: I think I’m going to do that.



B: Did you want to start tonight?



***



B: My dream job is in Chicago.



Me: I’m not moving to Chicago.



B: You’re keeping me from my dreams.


***

B: (B walks in as I'm reading my Bible.) Oh! You're reading your Bible?

Me: Yes.

B: I figured you had some other book you were hiding in there just to make it look like you were reading your Bible.

Me: 


***


Me: Here, B. (I hand him half of my homemade chocolate chip cookie.)


B: Here, Lauren (Eating homemade lemon pound cake.)



***



Me: B, I need you to know that when I’m old, I’m going to have to cut my hair really short and make it curly and get it fixed once a week. I know you don’t like short  or curly hair.



B:

Me: Well?


B: Bye.


***

Me: B, I’m really worried about “Tom”, the baby bird we had to let go. I don’t want him to die in the yard.



B: They have a high mortality rate. Don’t expect good things.



Me: (Speechless, with a horrified look on my face.)



B: Don’t expect good things in life, Lauren. 

***


My dad has always said that he believes there are actually 6 love languages, not five. He claims the 6th is “harassment”.

He teases. It’s who he is. He teases the people he cares about. It is the way he loves on people and the way he feels loved back. In fact, if he isn’t teasing you, that is when you need to worry.

Growing up as his daughter, I learned the fine art of teasing. I am made very much like him, and I inherited his love language of harrassment. This taught me the very important lesson of knowing how to laugh at myself, but also how to appropriately laugh with others. And as ironic as it sounds, when someone teases me it makes me feel very, very loved.

God has gifted me with a man who knows how to laugh and how to make me laugh. Psalm 126:2, (intermingled with the "bumps"), could not be more true of this first year.

The Lord truly has done great, great things for us.  Here is to hoping we will continue the laughter and the fun until we are 102. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divorce and the Land of Israel

(If you are here, the very first thing I want you to read is this: Writing about a divorce can be sticky. I would never want to hurt B in any way. So, please know this post is about the divorce, not about B.)     Rejection.   In the past, I’d had friends hurt my feelings. I was dumped in college. There were jobs I wasn’t offered. There were times I wasn’t invited. But that was pretty much it. The rejection I had felt in my life was, what I would consider, typical.   When I found out B had filed for divorce, I was devastated. Normal, right? I think so. I was intensely sad and cried every day. This too, did not surprise me. In fact, during those first few months, I didn’t fight it. When the sobbing began, I would stop what I was doing so I could heave it out until that episode was over. I also expected the standard emotions that sadness brings with it; disappointment, depression, grief. I wept through each of these and these sorrowful emotions became increasingly better wit

God, and our rental home.

I was still living in the home that once held our family of five.  Rooms were now completely empty, the living room bare and our bedroom was...well...void.  B and his kids had left. I would collapse at the smallest emotional trigger, a "train-wreck" as some people commonly refer to it. I shed tears daily, sometimes hourly. The failure of my marriage felt catastrophic.  Spiritual questions loomed in my mind. Could I hear the Lord? Where was he in all of this? Wasn't he here...somewhere? It didn't feel like it. And if he was, I certainly couldn't hear him. I'd been taking steps one-at-a-time for a couple months, but on one particular day, I was told I had to find a new place to live too. I was crushed. Taking the first steps were hard, but having to leave our home, this home we'd bought together, lived in together, made memories in together...the permanence of this step was overwhelming.  I could barely think straight.  In fact, all I really knew was that I

They've been disarmed.

“Eric held him down until the police could get the gun out of his hand.” My friend, Beth, told me this story about her husband, a firefighter who helped wrestle a person to the ground during an emergency call yesterday.    This troubled man reached and successfully grabbed an officer’s gun from her belt, but was immediately subdued when four people, including Eric, pounced upon him. They restrained him until they had retrieved the gun and could carefully stand up again.    The culprit was disarmed.   Everyone was safe.   I love a story of valor.   Just a day before, I’d been reading through Colossians and came to chapter 2, verse 15, “He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, triumphing over them…”   My eyes veered back to “disarmed.” The Holy Spirit seemed to be highlighting that word in my heart, giving it an intense weight. I studied it. Originating in the late 14th century, it meant to “deprive of power to injure or terrify, render harmless.” Unable to caus